Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesday March 18, 2015

Honors 9- Today we finished answering the questions "What makes up a hero?" and created our own working definition of what a hero is. This will support our thinking as we move into our reading of The Odyssey. Reminder: Vocab Quiz Friday! Make sure you are studying.


English 10- Toady we finished our analysis of Auto Wreck and started our look at Langston Hughes and the Harlem Renaissance. Reminder: Poetry presentations are on Friday. See yesterdays blog for the requirements.  Here are the poems if you missed class today:


(Harlem) A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?



I,Too
 By Langston Hughes

I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America.


No comments:

Post a Comment